Friday, September 24, 2010

One skein Tunisian scarf


So, if you are anything like me, you lurve the feel of Homespun yarn but hate actually crocheting with it. Maybe it's just me, but I have the hardest time seeing my stitches using this yarn, and I am constantly splitting it with the hook. So beautiful, so soft, so evil.

Anyway, for me, Tunisian crochet is the answer! Using this technique allows me to use this lovely yarn for good and not firepit kindling. And, like most fiber addicts, I bet you have a skein (or 8) of this torturous yarn laying about, without purpose, without future prospects. And, like most, you hate the notion of tossing out perfectly good yarn. Well, let me solve that for ya! This scarf pattern doesn't curl, has really nice drape and is very warm and soft. And on top of all that, it's washable! Yay!

One Skein Tunisian Scarf

Materials:
Bulky weight yarn - yep, you guessed it, one skein Homespun
9 mm afghan hook

Time needed: about 3 hours, more or less, depending on the number of children you have running about screaming that they want juice, are fighting with their siblings, just dropped a paint can on the floor...oh, I digress...

Notes: all return rows are done as normal - y/o, pull through one for the first stitch, y/o pull through two for the remaining stitches in the row.

Stitches used:
Tss - Tunisian simple stitch Slide hook from right to left under the post of the stitch and draw up a loop.
Tdc - Tunisian double crochet. Y/o, slide hook from right to left under the post of the stitch, draw up a loop, y/o and pull through 2.
Sc - single crochet. Um, I bet you know this one already. :)

Directions:
Ch 15
Row 1: with one loop on, tss across the chain, return row
Row 2: ch 2 (counts as first tdc), tdc across the row, return row
Row 3 - : repeat Rows 1 and 2, until you reach the desired length, or until you reach the end of the skein.
Bind off using sc.

There, couldn't be simpler. :)

8 comments:

  1. Looks good! I'll have to try this! I haven't done tdc before, but it sounds easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. My scarf has turned out beautifully. Very happy to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I received several skeins of Homespun yarn for Christmas. I pasted a smile on my face and said thank you while silently swearing. The yarn is beautiful but drives me utterly mad! Just when I was about to 'accidentally' throw it out I found your blog. And I do need a new scarf! So (big exhale)let's do this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a huge ball of homespun yarn that I desperately want to get rid of so I am gonna try this out to see if it works out well. Good luck to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so want to learn how to do this. Yes I am a newbie. Somewhat of a quick learner. Have a few skeins of homespun that I need to do something with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not sure what homespun is but I've recently come across Caron Simply Soft. My needles keep splitting it. My 8 yr old daughter rwcieved her first learn to crochet kit from my bro anf his and gf for Christmas and in it was a Afghan Needle and in the book that came with the kit was the new (to me) Tunisian crochet/stitch. I tried it with the simply soft Caron and WOW! So much easier!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure what homespun is but I've recently come across Caron Simply Soft. My needles keep splitting it. My 8 yr old daughter rwcieved her first learn to crochet kit from my bro anf his and gf for Christmas and in it was a Afghan Needle and in the book that came with the kit was the new (to me) Tunisian crochet/stitch. I tried it with the simply soft Caron and WOW! So much easier!!!!

    ReplyDelete